Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DIY Crate Nightstand


Nathan and I live on base so we have limited space. I've been using a teeny table as a nightstand for two years and it was basically me stacking my clock, iPad, books, phone, glasses, and chapstick in a Jenga tower. I've been on the lookout for something more spacious, but inexpensive and compact, and finally decided to just make my own!

The crates are from Jo-Ann's, but you can find them at any craft store! Never EVER pay full price for these things, people. Craft stores always have coupons! They retail around $13, but you can almost always find a 40% off coupon for Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Jo-Ann's. (Hint: Download the Retail-Me-Not app or pull up the store's website on your smartphone and they can scan any coupon from your phone)

**When you buy your crates, make sure you find two that stack well together! Some of them are a little wobbly!**

The wood stain I used is from Wal-Mart. It is Miniwax in the shade "English Chestnut 223" and it retails for less than $5. I used about half of an 8 oz can! To apply the stain, I used a four pack of $0.97 foam brushes from Wal-Mart's craft section. They worked wonderfully and the different sizes came in handy.


I stained the outside of the crates one day, and the inside + crevices the next. On the third day, I stacked them together! They still have a strong paint smell, so you may want to leave them outside to air out a bit!

It was cold and rainy this week so I had to suffer through the smell of staining them inside!

Use a little wood glue or some small screws to keep them stable. Honestly, mine are surviving just stacked on top of each other, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to be making them into a shelf for elsewhere in your house! :) All in all, you could knock this project out in a day and for under $20!


I had a little supervision while placing the nightstand in our bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment