Sunday, June 15, 2014

See You Later

Esther, Nicole, Danielle, Dao, Shaira, and I 

The beautiful thing about becoming part of a military family is that brings together the most unlikely people. I did not come from a diverse hometown. Growing up I didn't know what it was like to travel, meet new people, or experience different cultures. I had never seen a skyscraper until I was in college, and the farthest west I'd ever traveled was still in North Carolina. At some point in life, I realized that I was not meant to stay in one place forever. Although my plan changed quite a few times, the Air Force has still found its way into my life and changed it forever.

Nearly two years ago I found myself uprooted and in Arkansas, friendless. I formed an online friendship with two very different young women, and a month after I moved we met up at Starbucks for the first time. The rest is history. Since my first coffee date with Dao and Esther, our group has grown to include three other ladies- all of whom have brought their own style and sass to our unique friendship. 

The downside to forming relationships with other military families is that we are forced to say goodbye sooner than we are ready. The first of our group to go is Danielle. Her sweet little family will be moving to Germany at the end of the month. To celebrate our friendship and her new adventure, we held a multi-cultural potluck dinner! I can assure you that if these ladies were not part of my life, I would have no idea what any of these foods are. The closest I've ever been to Asian food is Chinese takeout! 

On the menu was Filipino pancit and lumpia, Vietnamese spring rolls, Mexican mole, and vegetarian sides! I made an all-American dessert...apple pie! 

We spent the evening taking way too many pictures, gossiping, laughing, and eating everything in sight.
.
We're sad to see Danielle go, but we know her family is going to make awesome memories in Germany! A reunion will certainly be in the making (I'm thinking when we force our children to marry each other). I know I have many other friendships awaiting me over the next 18 years of military life, but nothing will beat this first group of women (we like to call ourselves The Dream Team). They are beautiful, talented, and a little offensive, so there is literally no way I'll ever be able to forget them. 

The Dream Team official selfie

No comments:

Post a Comment